Friday 13 August 2010

Where's the Perseid's then?

It's just after 10pm here as i write this on the south coast of England. I have a thermos of coffee in the kitchen and the little camping seat waiting for me by the door and within an hour we will have driven the required distance into the countryside to be far enough away from the light pollution of the city to watch a shower of meteorites. Apparently.
I say apparently because last year we went through the same routine and spent 2 hours looking up at clouds. Same as the year before only then we had the added excitement of rain.
Tonight is the best night to see the Perseid meteor shower and between you and me, i would prefer to be in bed under the duvet rather than standing in a field getting a stiff neck and hoping that the thing i just felt squish under my shoe was mud.
I may grumble and moan but in reality, i do hope that the skies are clear and we are treated to one of the solar systems great shows. I just wish the solar system would not pick the nights when the cloud cover was so thick.
The battle of gravity and friction all going on behind the mass of cloud. What a waste and me sat in a field a few miles below it all wondering if enough time has elapsed for me to start the watch tapping routine and saying aloud 'Wow, didn't realise that was the time'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hanz,

if you were my child i'd put you in time out (standing up with your nose touching the wall) for the content of this post.

we all have choices, make decisions, and then get consequences. both of my daughters knew this by age 5.

there are plenty of places in the world where it isn't cloudy most of the time (like wehre you live) thus you can see meteor showers - like where i live! we lay on top of "enchanted rock" and see 50 or 60 meteors per hour.

so, stop the whining and deal with the choices you've made like a responsible adult, or you'll get time out (gives you time to reflect on your choices).

q

Falling on a bruise said...

Because i didn't whine out loud is that still bad? Is it the thoughts or the actions?

Anonymous said...

put your nose on the wall young man...