Friday 20 February 2015

Rise Of The Female Ai

I have spent a lot of time with my Sat Nav this past week and the lovely, soothing female voice telling me to take the next exit and then perform a U-turn at which point i would turn to my phone and Cortana who again in a pleasant female tone would tell me she couldn't answer my question.
Although their is an option for a male voice to take you the wrong way on the motorway, the default voice for many artificial intelligence systems does seem to be female and after watching a programme about robots, it seems that most of the humanoid robots are also.
I have asked why the female form and voice are used in these types of things and the answer is that females are less threatening for the users then males which does make sense but i am sticking with my original thought that if it is intelligence, and male, if follows that it must be artificial so they use female voices instead.

No comments: