Saturday, 3 October 2026

Special Guest Blogger: Inuit goddess Sedna

Every time someone bites into a succulent piece of blubber or dons a warm sealskin parka, they are, quite literally, enjoying a piece of me.
I was the daughter of Anguta and Isarrataitsoq, which is a lot of divine pressure for one girl to carry but both my parents were always on about me finding a nice hunter to settle down with but my main priority was mainly, eating. I had this Great Hunger, an appetite that could swallow a caribou whole. I occasionally tried to nibble on my parents while they slept but we’ve all made mistakes in our rebellious teens. Some kids dye their hair blue, I tried to consume the architects of the universe but instead of getting me a therapist, dad decided the best course of action was a scenic boat trip and
throwing me overboard into the freezing Arctic Ocean.
There I was, treading water and I did what any sensible person would do, I grabbed the side of the kayak but Dad was having none of it took out his knife and snip, snip, chop, chop and as my finger joints slipped away into the abyss, they didn’t just sink. They transformed with the knuckles becoming the ringed seals, the middle joints Walruses and the tips those magnificent, blubbery whales.
I watched my own digits sprout flippers and swim away which is a strange feeling to see your pinky finger blow a sprout of water and swim off.
My body became the foundation of an entire civilization’s survival and it’s hard to stay mad at your dad for being a homicidal maniac when you realise you’ve just accidentally solved world hunger for the next ten thousand years.
After the finger-chopping fiasco, I sank to the bottom, grew a tail (very mermaid chic)  and founded Adlivun, the underworld which is like a gated community, but for the dead, and the gates are guarded by some very grumpy sharks.
As the Mother of All Marine Animals,  if you want a seal for dinner, you have to stay on my good side and the power trip is immense, when i see a whale swim past my window I feel a strange sense of pride but it’s not all glamour, there’s the hair because the downside of having sea-creature fingers for a legacy is you can’t hold a comb so i summon a Shaman to do it for me.
Having a shaman travel through the spirit world to the bottom of the ocean just to comb your hair is the height of luxury but take it from me, if you are feeling peckish see what's in the fridge, especially if you have a father who owns a kayak and a sharp knife.

No comments: