Sunday 10 March 2013

Note To Self: Back Up Files

I think it was Monday when i heard what had happened but the full implication didn't hit me until a bit later when i considered what had gone. That's the problem with computers, they eventually give up the ghost and unless you are one of the sensible people who back things up, which i am not, you lose everything.
I seem to be remembering things almost hourly and cursing that i can't get at them again, not ultra-important things but things i have put effort into over the past five years since the last computer when belly-up.  
Then there was the hassle of choosing a new one and the wide range of choice on offer and the salesman trying to sell one of a number of maintenance packages or extended warranties or virus protection or trying to tell me that this one with the extra RAM would run my applications much faster and it is only an extra £50 and a much better piece of equipment despite me telling him a million times this was the one i wanted as recommended by someone who has probably forgotten more about computers than i have ever known.
On top of that there is the problem of going from Windows Vista to Windows 8, the latest Operating System moving on so far from the systems i have used before that it doesn't even have a start button anymore!
Firefox doesn't have any of my bookmarks anymore so i will have to spend hours going back around sites and bookmarking them again and as i always use the 'remember me' box, heaven knows what the passwords are which i am going to have to dig out again.
The moral of the story for me is to back up my files onto a DVD but i know i won't and in four or five years time i will be moaning about how I wish i had backed up all my files onto a DVD.

2 comments:

Liber - Latin for "The Free One" said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruby Badcoe said...

I guess you know now what to do to keep your files secured and safe after what happened. It’s important to create a backup of your files because you never know what might happen to them. If you have an extra copy of your important documents, you won’t panic when you run through that same awful situation. The feeling of losing precious files is horrible, and I know that you don’t want to experience that again.