Thursday 20 December 2018

Special Guest Blogger: Joseph

When it comes to the Nativity scene there are several main characters but i don't seem to be amongst them, my only role was to hire a donkey and get Mary to a stable in Bethlehem and then stand at the back and keep quiet while a sheep nibbled on my tunic.
I don't get songs sang about me and the only line said by young children with tea-towels wrapped around their heads in school plays is to ask if there is any room in the inn but i'm not bitter, okay so maybe a little bit.   
Where was the Father when his son was growing up? It was me who wiped his snotty nose when he had a cold and that boy seemed to have a permanent cold and don't get me started on the cost of medicine and no maintenance payments ever came our way although him having the knack of making a loaf of bread feed 5000 people came in handy as did that Gold those nice men in the fancy clothes brought. 
Don't get me wrong, that my wife is exalted to the highest is nice but it was a bit of a shock when she told me nine months earlier that while i was out buying a new hammer, God had came down from heaven and splashed his Holy seed at her and impregnated her with man's Saviour. Oh, and i needed to get her to Bethlehem pronto and anyone who has tried to hire a donkey on Christmas Eve knows that's easier said then done.
So despite being the 'dad', only playing a very minor role in the whole nativity thing and not getting a carol or a hymn, (even the donkey gets its own song), the worst bit was that conversation with the boy about who his real father was. Talk about Awkward!!

No comments: