Friday 5 August 2022

Joan Jett - Glorious Results Of A Misspent Youth

Of the millions of albums which have been recorded, only 15 can make it into The Lucy Museum of Musicians who deserve entry to Lucy's Museum of Musician's and at number 13 we have Glorious Results Of A Misspent Youth by Joan Jett  (1984).

As a young girl learning guitar there were not many female rockers to emulate in the early 80s but my teacher was a proper music nerd and would teach me the chords and then punk or metal riffs which used the three or four chords i knew and through him i found out there were two rock goddesses, Joan Jett and Lita Ford, and both were in the band The Runaway's and when i heard that the remnants of the Sex Pistols were working with Jett and Black Sabbath and Motley Crue with Ford, it was Jett i kept my ear out for because a punk band was always going to knock musical spots off a metal band.
Joan Jett really hit it big in the UK with I Love Rock n Roll in 1982 dressed in leathers and full of attitude and looking like someone i had for me in my minds eye as well as adding another dirty great riff to my repertoire.
The brilliant angry sounding Cherry Bomb was the Runaway's debut song but Jett seemed to take the thought that she wrote it so she can have it on any damn album she wanted and put it on this one along with her version of I Need Someone and somehow fused the original doo wop and her guitar sound and did the same with another 60s hit New Orleans so her misspent youth was sitting in her bedroom playing 60s songs and working out how to turn them into brilliant 80's rock anthems which was more productive than my misspent youth which involved cigarettes and nicking bottles of Babycham from my parents drinks cabinet.

No comments: