Monday 17 October 2022

Special Guest Blogger: Frances Farmer

Everyone thought i was destined to be the next big thing and i probably could have been if it wasn't for being incarcerated in a mental institution for five years but like all good stories, mine begins at the start and that is at the Theater where a talent agent steered me straight to Paramount Pictures where on my 22nd birthday, i signed a seven-year acting contract.
At that time young girls were puppets of the studio but i was far too rebellious for that and refused their demands that i change my name but nothing they could do about it because by then my name was out there and my first few films were massive and i met and married actor Leif Erickson.
I had a booming career, a handsome husband, and my whole life ahead of her. What could possibly go wrong?
The studio's wanted me to be a star off screen too and attend parties and high profile events and interact with the press but i refused and even disappeared for a while to star in Theater Shows but mostly i was drinking heavily.
When i turned down a role in Take a Letter, Darling, the studio suspended me but not only was my career veering into dangerous territory but so was my marriage.
and we divorced and then a series of events occurred which ended with me in a padded cell.
In a nutshell, i got pulled over for drink driving, abused a policeman and spent the night behind bars and a $500 fine which i never paid and got arrested again and then faced a charge of dislocating my hairdressers jaw before streaking naked down Sunset Boulevard and then lashing out at the officers who came to arrest me. Oh, and bouncing an inkwell off the judges head at the hearing for which i got 180 days in a psychiatric hospital.
Upon release, and with a certificate stamped with 'cured', i was released into my parents care but after i ran away they sent me back to the mental hospital where i remained for five years.
On release i got a job sorting laundry and landed a job as a bookkeeper and secretary but i was once famous and people recognised me and i got some small parts at theaters but five years of drugs, padded cells and jackets that do up behind your back has an effect and it's said that so few performers are able to make the transition from the famously difficult mental asylum circuit, all the way to headlining a major television show so i  spent the rest of my life staying out of the limelight until i died of throat cancer aged 56.

No comments: