Tuesday 11 October 2022

Special Guest Blogger: George Reeves

If you were a kid in the 1950s and had a TV, you were probably obsessed with Superman who was faster than a speeding bullet but he may have been but i certainly wasn't as i later found out.
My life started out complicated, i grew up thinking i was Italian and that the man my mum was married to was my dad but turned out neither was true so that was pretty messed up but i made it through High School and enrolled in acting class where i met and wed Ellanora Needles.
I had a talent for remembering pages of lines and could shoot long scenes and that skill got me an appearance in the first scene of Gone With the Wind which got me signed on with Warner Brothers and signed on for five Hopalong Cassidy films.
I was officially on my way but acting wasn't particularly well paid and when i lost all our money on a bad investment, my wife left me but i was an actor and had my pick of women, unfortunately the woman i picked was Toni Lanier, an ex-showgirl, stunningly beauty and already married to MGM’s general manager Eddie Maddix.
Maddix didn't mind, he was having affairs all over so he was happy that his wife was otherwise occupied which was lucky for me because he was pals with some very unsavory characters in the mob.
Film roles started drying up and i was offered the role in a new film based on a comic book character, Superman, and i really didn't want to but had little choice so i took the role and it did make me a star but i wanted to be a proper big screen actor and here i was a 40 year old playing a guy in tights and a cape so i told the studio i was moving on to other things and told Toni the same thing which she took as well as any psychotic nutcase would.
I became engaged to American socialite Leonore Lemmon but long before Glenn Close boiled a pet rabbit to get back at her man jilting her, there was Toni Lanier.
First, there were the silent phone calls, then someone abducted my pet dog and then the brakes got cut on my car and it was obviously nutty Toni so days before my wedding i took out a restraining order against her but she didn't let a piece of paper stop her.
We had a bit of a pre-wedding party at my house and i went to bed early and came down a little later to see a few people i didn't know sat around so i went back to bed and you would need to read the police reports of what happened next but i ended up lying face up on the bed, naked and with a fatal gun-shot wound to my head.
I did hear that another Reeves took on my role in some Superman films, i hope he had better luck than i did.

No comments: