Monday 10 December 2007

Where Have All The New Xmas Songs Gone?

It was about a fortnight ago in the middle of Sainsbury's that it happened. Suddenly, and without warning, i suddenly felt Christmassy. The reason for this unexpected turn of events that led me from 'damn, it's raining again' to 'wow, it's almost Christmas' was the first bars of festive music.
I think i even smiled at the checkout boy rather than eyeing him suspiciously as i entered my chip and pin number.
Christmas is probably the only time of year you can get away with humming songs sung by Cliff Richards or Bon Jovi without your image suffering terminal meltdown but most of the decent Christmas songs that clog up the ears this time of year are all decades old.
The 70s and 80s were the high point for the sound of sleigh bells on three minutes of some bloke singing about snow or calling someone a scumbag and maggot as The Pogues did in Fairytale of New York.
So where are all the new relentlessly jolly or teeth rottingly sweet Christmas songs? Pushing to one side Cliff Richards (someone, please), our charts over the last decade have been almost as dry as Betty Fords liquor cabinet when it comes to seasonal tunes.
Come on you pop stars, there are only so many times i can hear Merry Xmas Everyone as I step into a high-street shop. Put down the pretence that your far too cool to do Xmas, pick up your guitar and write something jingle belly, comforting, familiar, and irritating.
Everyone except you Spice Girls, you have overdone your irritating quota.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

There's something Christmassy about watching Strictly Come Dancing. I felt it whilst watching Judge Len be particularly nice to Gethin. God, I sound lame.

Joe the Troll said...

Lucy-

Evidently, you didn't read the post I did about new Christmas music about a week ago. If you want to hear some new Xmas tunes, Nat is putting up one a day. Here's the link-

http://natsthename.blogspot.com/

The Little Cheese said...

What about The Darkness one a couple of years ago? They even had a sniggering innuendo with "Don't Let The Bells End"... or was that just me being childishly amused by that...?

Cheezy said...

I'm pretty sure that was intentional!... unless me and all my friends have similarly dirty minds.

My own fave Christmas choons include the earthy 'Mistress for Christmas' by AC/DC, the beautifully prosaic 'It Doesn't Often Snow at Christmas' by the Pet Shop Boys, the touching 'Merry Christmas (I Don't Wanna Fight Tonight)' by The Ramones and, of course, 'Mr Hankey the Christmas Poo'.

The Fez Monkey said...

Go with either Christmas with the Devil by Spinal Tap, or Christmastime in the LBC by Snoop.

Those will be a nice yuletide change.

Ook ook

Stephen K said...

My favourite: Happy Xmaxs (War is Over).

Falling on a bruise said...

I check your blog most days Joe and i cannot remember reading a posting about new Xmas music unless it was in one of the posts about a album/singer/group i don't know (i tend to skip through them ones, sorry) or google reader just missed it.
I would have to plump for Last Xmas as probably my favourite. Just so christmassy and reminds me of teenage Christmases.

Anne said...

xtc-thanks for xmas. always a favorite.

Joe the Troll said...

"(i tend to skip through them ones, sorry) "

Blasphemer.

Anyway, go see Nat's. She has a lot of new Christmas music up. You'll probably have to listen to someone you don't already know, though! :-)

The Fez Monkey said...

Just remembered a classic classic: The Kinks' Father Christmas.

Ook ook

Joe the Troll said...

How about the Who's "Christmas" from Tommy?

Anonymous said...

I'm supposed to think of a good Christmas song that isn't usually on a kid's program, aren't I?

*sob*

I'm a failure! (Though I totally rock out to Tiberian Orchestra. Check out "Carol of Bells" anime version. LOL!)

Jodie Kash said...

It may knock the piss out of some, but I loves me some "(Simply Having) A Wonderful Christmastime". Just isn't the holiday until I hear it.

Other goodies, “Christmas Wrapping" (The Waitresses), “2000 Miles” (The Pretenders) and “Happy Christmas (War Is Over)” (John Lennon).

O' Tim said...

"(Simply Having) A Wonderful Christmastime"

That song really puts the scrooge to me. I consider myself lucky to have only just heard it for the first time this year on Dec. 13, and luckier still if I only have to endure it 20 more times before the 25th.

I think the one that's grown on me most is Bruce Cockburn's "Cry of a Tiny Babe" to which Lou Reed added a very interesting vocal performance at Cockburn's annual Christmas concert a few years back.

Joe the Troll said...

jodie & O'Tim - you'll both want to see my Christmas post.

Stephen K said...

Bruce Cockburn came at with a Christmas CD in the early '90s. He did a version of a beautiful and haunting 17th century Canadian song called "Huron Carol."