Thursday, 22 March 2018

Younger Generation Ignoring Religion

A European Social Survey of young people aged between 16-29 around 21 European nations shows that the majority of them no longer follow a specific religion with 70% of British youngster not associating themselves with any religion or religious practices.
The Czech Republic was the country with the least religious percentage of young adults, with a huge 91 per cent identifying themselves as not having a faith in the while over half in The Netherlands, Sweden, Estonia, Hungary, Belgium, France, Denmark, Finland, Norway and Spain also said religion was not for them.
Stephen Bullivant, leader on the report said that: 'very few of today's young adults have had any serious connection with religion at all' and over the next decade there will be even fewer young religious people and the default setting is no religion, and the few who are religious see themselves as swimming against the tide.
As religion has been the cause of so many conflicts down the ages which continue today, it can't be a bad thing that religion is being sidelined by the coming generations.

17 comments:

Keep Life Simple said...

It “can’t be” a bad thing... illustrates a lack of imagination.

Falling on a bruise said...

Struggling with the concept of something not being a bad thing??

Keep Life Simple said...

no, i find your inability to see that religion could possibly be a good thing as an indicator that you lack the ability to see beyond your harsh biases.

over the many years you have been consistent in two ways:
- once you support something, you only acknowledge the attributes you like
- once you disagree with something, you only acknowledge the attributes you dislike

Example of how religion might be a good thing: America had guns (including "assault weapons") in the 60's, 70's, and 80's with few or no "mass shootings" and no school shootings (in the 60's we had guns at school in Texas). The pace of "mass shootings" has increased since circa 1990 - - this increase in shootings has coincided with reduced church attendance and a consistent decline in religious Americans. Has a drop in religion in America contributed to the increase in shootings? Maybe.



Falling on a bruise said...

Less religion has been a constant of mine since i was old enough to acknowledge it although i have said that it can bring comfort to people.
If the lack of religion is a reason then you would expect mass shootings to go up in countries where there is less religion but as the survey shows, in Europe religion has been left behind but no mass shootings in schools so i would look elsewhere in America with a massive red arrow pointing towards easy access to guns and daft gun laws.

Keep Life Simple said...

it does bring comfort to many. not why i elect to be a believer, but it is the reason for most people i know that claim to believe in God regardless of their religion.

In America, socially, some of the primary changes since 1960:
- declining religion (a lot less inculcation of thou shalt nots...)
- increased acceptance of drugs and alcohol (devastating, but especially for Blacks)
- decline of "traditional families" (hit Blacks the hardest)
- women entering the workforce in mass (lots of latch key kids and less "nurturing")
- more influence of "African American" culture on "White" culture (far less Puritanical)
- social media (much easier to elevate and/or manipulate any situation)

Several of these changes were highly interrelated and acted as force multipliers...

The guns were already present. The access to guns was easier in the 60's and 70's than it is now. The culture has changed negatively (so much for the move to the left and more welfare).


Falling on a bruise said...

Brilliant, every excuse except the blindingly obvious. Good luck American school age children.

Keep Life Simple said...

In other words, you don’t have a logical reply. As usual. Just spout your views and ignore all data that destroys your lame viewpoints. Quite scientific of you.

Falling on a bruise said...

I gave my answer but you didn't like it so you came up with a ridiculous list of other reasons to avoid blaming the obvious. Either magnificent ignorance on your behalf or yet another example of that famous lack of understanding you regularly display.

Keep Life Simple said...

no, you are ignoring all factors except the ONE factor you obsess on. which is what you do on almost all topics so I would be foolish to think you could consider multiple factors and their interactions. apologies for expecting you could think critically.

did you finish 12 years of school? i ask because you are seriously lacking in critical thinking... you weren't in Vietnam were you - agent orange and all that... not blogging from the local pub ere ya? you know, after a few pints...

now, try to remember - the guns were here decades before the mass shootings... another factor(s) changed... try to remember that...

now, what didn't change? guns. we already had guns.
so, what changed to cause this sudden rash of mass shootings (remember it is not guns)?

give it a go.

Falling on a bruise said...

So you are removing the Guns from the equation of mass shootings? You want to look at reasons why so many people are getting killed by guns but you don't want to include guns in the reasoning? Your country has more gun shops than coffee shops but you want to remove the easy access to guns to the question? You are able to buy guns in supermarkets along with your cornflakes but you don't want to look at that? In the USA you can buy a gun at 18, 14 in some states, but can't buy alcohol until you are 21 but that's not an issue?
Anyone with a mental illness, as long as they have not been committed to a mental hospital, can buy a gun but that's not up for discussion?
Now, i know you have a problem in understanding things you don't have a firm grip on but even you with your right wing, pro-gun bias and limited grasp of some issues can't really believe that none of the above are the problem. If you say yes and still want to blame women in the workforce, social media or a lack of religion for gun deaths in a country awash with guns and loose gun laws in order to sidetrack the discussion and fling the blame elsewhere like the NRA does, then than i can only wonder just why you fail to see what is blindingly obvious to almost everyone else including the 70% of your fellow Americans in a CNN poll who support stricter gun laws.
Over to you Mr Right To Bear Arms.

Keep Life Simple said...

i am removing guns because they were in the baseline where there were no mass shootings. the mass shootings started when something else changed... now, the only practical solution in the new reality may be the confiscation of guns. but the guns are not what caused the emergence of mass shootings.

i understand your point. with no guns, there can be no school shootings. using your logic we could also say "no bullets, no school shootings". or "no people, no school shootings". or "no schools, no school shootings".

stricter gun laws will not stop school shootings or mass shootings. must lock down the schools and guard them, or confiscate guns (has not worked with drugs, and did not work with alcohol in the 1920's).

and it is a right to own guns in America because the founders of our nation believed that each person has a right to defend himself/herself. the only way to effectively defend oneself is with a gun if:
- you are threatened by someone that is physically more dangerous than you
- you are confronted by a group
- you are being attacked by someone with a weapon (club, knife, sword, spear, etc.)

Keep Life Simple said...

oh yeah,

over to you Ms Dependent Of The State


Keep Life Simple said...

Your country has more gun shops than coffee shops but you want to remove the easy access to guns to the question?
> One place to buy guns in my town of 10,000 people. 50 coffee shops. Typical.

You are able to buy guns in supermarkets along with your cornflakes but you don't want to look at that?
> not true. flat out lie. you can buy guns at walmart, but they are not a supermarket (grocery store). They are a general merchandise store and sold guns before they started selling food.

In the USA you can buy a gun at 18, 14 in some states, but can't buy alcohol until you are 21 but that's not an issue?
> It is an issue. We should not have lowered the status of "adult" from 21 to 18. But, people under 21 tend to vote for the democrats so they lowered the age to get votes.

Anyone with a mental illness, as long as they have not been committed to a mental hospital, can buy a gun but that's not up for discussion?
> that is a PRIMARY argument from the NRA.
> another problem, in America there is much debate about what constitutes a mental illness. further, until someone commits a crime, it is damn hard for the state to intervene (we made it this way on purpose because your Kings abused us and was above the law).

Falling on a bruise said...

So you, as expected, continue to try and sidetrack the discussion and try to get the focus shifted elsewhere, useful idiot of the NRA and all that. Move on, nothing to see here and especially don't look at the dead schoolchildren in the cemeteries who were killed by gun owners using legally owned weapons. Just don't ask awkard questions, turn to the flag, put your hand across your heart and sing the national anthem like a good little American. That's it, good boy.

Keep Life Simple said...

first, i admitted that the only solution remaining may be to confiscate guns (even though the approach did not work with alcohol, drugs).

second, I corrected your errors (based on what appears to fabricated leftist news).

third, I pointed out the self-serving deception in your argument (if there were no planes there would be no plane crashes).

fourth, addressed you question about "mental illness"... you wouldn't be allowed to buy a gun in America apparently...

so, I hardly diverted. I took all your lame points head on.

You, on the other hand are the one that once again avoids all data that disrupts your view. Useful idiot of the leftist movement that you are... Sing hail to the queen, have some tea, and all that like an condenscending little English girl. Stiff upper lip. Good girl.

Falling on a bruise said...

Louder, people can still hear the parents sobbing over their dead children at the back. Good Patriotic American, if you can wave a little flag on a stick at the same time even better and don't forget to keep going until the news moves on. That's a good lad.

Keep Life Simple said...

Patriotism? I get that you hate your nation and likely want a single world governing body. I get that you are condescending enough to think you are smarter than everyone else and, like a fascist, want to impose your views on all others. But, what does patriotism have to do with anything? Patriotism was not introduced as an argument by me…

My arguments:
1.)Self-defense is a basic human right. The most effective defense mechanism is a gun.
>> If one of your knife wielding murderers from London confronted me or my wife, they would find out the hard way that "you don't take a knife to a gun fight." <<
2.)I want to shoot because it is fun – yes, plinking cans and shooting skeet is fun.
3.)I like to occasionally hunt with a gun.
4.)I like to shoot lots of bullets fast – very fun at times.
5.)I'm sorry that people murder (whether with a bomb, knife, lorry, club, or gun). I’m sorry that 15 people were murdered in London last month with a knife (gun ban didn’t save them). I’m sorry those folks were murdered in school, but…
a.I didn't do the killing.
b.I wasn't the armed cop that hid instead of going after the shooter.
c.I'm not the FBI that ignored the many tips that the shooter was on the edge.
6.)The government cannot stop evil people from attacking me.
7.)The government cannot stop evil people from getting guns so they can attack me.
8.)I'm not to be held accountable for the actions of others. So:
a.I’m not giving up my car because 30,000 americans are killed in car accidents.
b.I'm not giving up alcohol because other people kill 10,000 annually by driving drunk.
c.I'm not going to give up "fast" food because 50% of americans are fat.
d.I'm not going to give up my guns because others are irresponsible with guns.

So, the bottom line:

Your lame argument that getting rid of guns will eliminate murder is meaningless to me.

I'm not going to voluntarily give up my human right of self-defense because others are scared or have bad experiences. Likewise, I also will not ask others to give up their rights to assuage my fears. How democratic of me.