Sunday 3 July 2022

Memory In Our Pockets Means Something Something Something

I had a great post all ready to write but buggered if i can remember what it was about, i should have tapped it into my smartphone to remind me, actually i did and just forgot, oh that's right, it's about a Professor saying smartphones are ruining our memories.
Before the smart phone genie got released from the bottle and disappeared over the hills and scarpered far away, i would write things down in a diary or on slips of paper and shove them in my purse but now i set a reminder on my smart phone instead and get notified in the morning of where i am supposed to be, with
whom and why i was meeting them in, the first place.  
A Professor at the neurobiology department in the Montreal University in Canada, has said that he has evidence that having more memory in our pockets mean there’s less in our head and our reliance on smartphones is having a detrimental effect on our brains.
'Once you stop using your memory it will get worse, which makes you use your devices even more' he says and he does have a point because where as before my purse was full of scribbled down notes of names, quotes and things to remember, now it holds only a few moths and a couple of coins with everything recorded or typed into the calendar on my smartphone.
Whereas before i would need to go to a bookshelf somewhere to look up some fact, now i can google it instead and then instantly forget it again because why would i need to remember useless tat when i need the valuable memory space in my head for the lyrics to that song from the 80's which did happen to me recently.
Break My Stride came on the radio, a song i haven't heard probably since it dropped out the charts in 1983 and i sang along and got about 99% of the right words in the right place clean forgot about meeting my friend for coffee after work. I did apologise and lied about a meeting over-running and re-scheduled because i didn't think me knowing the words to that Matthew Wilder classic was going to smooth over leaving her alone in Costa, as impressive as it was.
Anyway, where was i, that's right memory, the Prof says we need to cut back on the use of the phone and wean ourselves using it to constantly remind ourselves of things and in time our memories will improve again but that's a scary thought because without notifications pinging me i would be afraid of missing things like those meetings with people like the one this morning at 11am...and it's now 7pm...damn, another over-running meeting excuse coming up i reckon.

No comments: