Saturday 23 July 2022

Watch Wearers Summer Problem

For my birthday in April, the kids bought me a watch and it is a great watch, it has a sun and moon dial which changes as the day goes on so at a glance you can see the time, date and whether it's day or night which will come in very handy the next time i am held hostage in a windowless room so it is a very nice watch but in Summer, watch wearers are faced with a problem.
Generally my skin is so white i am medically only two shades away from being transparent but when the Sun comes out i tend to go red for a week followed by a healthy light brown for a week and then back to milk bottle white again but for those few weeks when i don't resemble the hue of Casper the Ghost, what i don't want is a white band around my wrist where my watch has been.
I take great care to choose my wardrobe to avoid strap lines on my shoulders so i usually remove my watch when outside for any length of time but as inevitably happens i don't always remember and i am currently typing this as the proud owner of a pair of arms and shoulders that are glowing bright enough to land aircraft and a glaring watch shaped white band around my right wrist, ironically from a watch which has a big Sun on it for 16 hours a day at the moment.
The most immediate problem then is the sunburn and as usual Google provides the remedies which include applying cold tea bags and smothering the affected areas in milk, tomato or apricot juice.
The NHS website advises to avoid hot baths and soap, bath oils and body wash as this irritates the skin further and to use creams which include Aloe Vera.
Something i remember from being sunburnt as a child is that the good old spud apparently makes for a wonderful pain reliever, either blended into a paste or even just cut in half and dabbed on the affected area so that's the immediate problem of the sunburn taken care of but i still have the white watch strap problem.
The obvious solution is to just keep my watch on until the Sun decides it has had enough torturing the inhabitants of the British Isles and buggers off to annoy the Southern Hemisphere which will obviously make the problem worse but nobody will be able to see it so if anybody wants me i will be in the vegetable section of the supermarket filling my basket with potato's and smelling faintly of old tea bags.

No comments: