I see you, little mortals, straining your necks every night, pointing your flimsy telescopes at me. I’m Orion. The Big Guy. The Hunter. The one with the snazzy belt and the incredibly unfortunate neighbour, Scorpius. Don’t pretend you don’t know me. I’m practically an international landmark.
And honestly, it’s a bit much sometimes. You’d think eternal fame and a front-row seat to the cosmic ballet would be all sunshine and nectar, but let me tell you, endless vigilance is exhausting. And the view? Spectacular, sure, but after a few millennia, you start to notice the dust bunnies collecting on Jupiter.
Let me take you back, way back, before I was merely a twinkle in Zeus’s eye (and before I actually became a twinkle in everyone else's). Before I was constrained to this rather glamorous but utterly immobile existence, I was a man of action. A man of legend. Or at least, I was working on it.
My birth, as all good legends begin, was somewhat complicated. Son of Poseidon, you see. Bit of a chip off the old block, though I preferred terra firma to the briny depths.
My life was simple, magnificent, and entirely dedicated to the pursuit of the magnificent. I hunted. Oh, how I hunted! Beasts of every stripe, every scale, every frankly improbable number of heads. I stalked the forests, spear in hand as the apex predator of the ancient world, the gold standard for monster-slaying. My deltoids were legendary, my aim unerring and my roar could make a hydra lose a head or two from sheer fright.
Life was a grand adventure. I’d wake with the sun, stretch my magnificent limbs, perhaps flex for an admiring nymph or two and then set off.
Sometimes I'd hunt with Artemis herself, the goddess of the hunt. She was a bit… intense, for my tastes. Great shot, mind you, but never appreciated my flair for the dramatic. Always complaining about my boisterous laughter echoing through the sacred groves. Honestly, some goddesses just don’t
know how to relax.
But it wasn't all just chasing deer and flexing. I had a keen eye for beauty, both in nature and in nymphs. There were a few incidents, the one with Merope, for instance. Long story short, I was a bit too enthusiastic in my courtship, her father wasn't amused, and I ended up blind for a while. A temporary setback, mind you! Nothing a good oracle and a trip to the dawn couldn't fix. It just added to the whole tragic hero mystique.
And then there was my most infamous, and ultimately fatal, blunder. You see, I was a really good hunter. Perhaps too good. I had this habit of boasting.
Not in a mean way, just in a 'listen to how awesome I am' sort of way. One particularly sunny afternoon, after a rather successful boar hunt that involved minimal property damage, I might have, hypothetically speaking, bellowed to the heavens that I could single-handedly rid the entire world of every beast that walked upon it. Every. Single. One.
Now, in hindsight, perhaps that wasn't the wisest declaration. Especially when Mother Earth herself, Gaia, was in earshot. Apparently, she didn't appreciate the implication that her magnificent creations were mere nuisances to be eradicated by a particularly brawny mortal with a big spear and an even bigger mouth.
So, what did she do? She sent a scorpion. A tiny but venomous one which was frankly, rather miffed at being told it was about to be hunted into extinction by a mere mortal.
The battle was epic. Or, it would have been, if I could have actually found the blasted thing. It kept scuttling under rocks, camouflaging itself in the sand. I was charging around, bellowing, swinging my club, making a proper mess of the landscape and then BAM! Or rather, sting! Right on the heel.
The pain was indescribable and I collapsed mortified. Not by the pain, you understand, but by the sheer indignity of it all. To be brought down by a creature I could have stepped on, had I only seen it coming! The irony was not lost on me, even as the world faded to black.
I expected Hades and eternal punishment, but no. The next thing I knew, I was floating. And shimmering. And utterly unable to scratch my nose.
Turns out, everyone up on Mount Olympus had been watching the whole spectacle. Zeus, decided that the greatest hunter the world had ever known deserved a more prominent retirement plan. And so, he plucked me from the mortal coil and flung me into the night sky, transforming me into a constellation.
And that’s how I ended up here. Stuck in the velvet black, eternally posed, spear raised, chasing Taurus the Bull and guiding ships and inspiring poets.
Saturday, 22 August 2026
Special Guest Blogger: Orion
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment