Thursday 24 March 2022

Special Guest Blogger: Chico Marx

Hey. I was not the one with the funny moustache, or the one who never speak or the one who gettsa the girl, i was the Italian one but i wasn't Italian, i just used that because we were surrounded by Italians in New York when i grew up and i liked the way they spoke da English.
I imagine you also pronounce my name Cheek-o but its Chick-o, the Italian's chose all our names and i got mine as i was always chasing chicks, hence Chick-o.
That never changed throughout my life, i cheated on my wife during the honeymoon, and neither did the gambling habit i picked up in the pool-halls in my youth.  
I was never meant to be one of the three main on-screen Marx Brothers, i originally wasn’t part of the family act at all, i was on a solo show business career as a travelling musician long before the rest of my brothers began their group act together on the Vaudeville circuit.
It was only when one night in Illinois, when the schedules of my musical act and my brothers comedy act happened to coincide and in the middle of their performance i got on stage with them and began horsing around in front of the audience.
That got us known and we were offered film contracts and made a lot of money, which i gambled away and i was declared bankrupt so my brothers came out of retirement to make A Night in Casablanca, solely for the benefit of my bank account, i had a line that if anyone asked how much money i had lost gambling over the course of my life, i would say 'Ask Harpo how much money he has. That’s how much I’ve lost'.
I owed gangster Bugsy Siegel big bucks for a gambling debt so i wrote him a cheque and knowing it would bounce and he would be after me, i was packing to leave town when i heard someone had shot and killed him while on his way to cash the cheque, so i unpacked again.
It was suggested that i needed a good bodyguard after that but i said what I need is a good body, the one I've got isn't worth guarding and i died not long after from hardening arteries, the first of the famous Marx brothers to say Ciao.

No comments: