Monday 7 March 2022

Special Guest Blogger: Emperor Wanli

History books are generally full of historical figures who are remembered for what they do, but i became famous for what i didn’t do.
My father was the Longqing Emperor of the Ming Dynasty but he didn’t really have much to teach me about all things royal as he died when i was 10 but he prepared for his untimely demise by commissioning Zhang Juzheng as a sort of mentor to take on the responsibilities of the emperor until i was old enough.
Juzheng taught me everything a young emperor needed to know: useful things like horseback riding, archery, and writing calligraphy and he did a great job as stand in Emperor, somehow managed to fix all the societal problems at the time, and staying way under budget.
He also improved the economy, the military and even started a cultural renaissance all under my name and at 19 he died and i stepped up to become Emperor so i looked around my country and saw all the great things my mentor had done and decided i didn't need to do anything so left them to it.
I filled my time marrying and then knocking around with my consorts, one called Zheng who i promised that the son she’d had with me would be the next emperor. The only problem was another one of my consorts had already given me a male heir and the rules stated that he would be the next emperor.
My officials made it clear Zheng's boy wouldn't inherit my role and the people got angry and they hurled insults at me so i said right then, i quit.
I stayed on as emperor but stopped attending to my duties so no more morning meetings, no sit-downs with the ministers and i didn't bother showing up for foreign dignitaries.
After more than 15 years of basically doing nothing as emperor, i gave in and reluctantly agreed to make my first son, Chu Zhangluo, the next emperor which ticked off Zheng no end and she hired a man to kill Chu Zhangluo but he botched it and was captured and spilled the beans on Zheng.
The outraged public demanded a trial but unable to find a judge that would let my girlfriend get away with murder, i made myself the judge and let her off myself.
When i wasn't doing Emperor type things, i discovered morphine, food drink and gained a ton of weight so much i couldn't even stand up and i died of a heart attack after the longest reign of any Ming Dynasty monarch.
My first born son did become emperor but he only lasted a month before dying of a mystery illness given to him by one his maids who were gifted to him by Zheng, she was one sneaky girl that one.

No comments: