Wednesday 7 February 2007

Run DMC Cover Version Hell

One of the things i discovered as i age is i turn into my parents whenever a song from my teenage years is rehashed by one of todays groups. Many times in my youth i would be bouncing around the living room to Top of The Pops while my parents shook their heads moaning about how the original was much better.
Now, i have become my parents because one of the 80s most memorable songs has been trashed by a couple of girls groups.
Run DMC's 'Walk This Way' should be one of those songs deemed untouchable by today's groups because, and i was no fan of rap or Run DMC for that matter, they would not perform it any better.
For Girls Aloud and The Sugarbabes to take it on is beyond words and bordering on criminal. Everything about this version leaves me colder than a brass monkey in the Siberian Streaking Championships.
Or maybe i am just getting old.
Nah.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Run DMC's 'Walk This Way' "


BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !

Yeah, it's Run DMC's original song.......

[snigger]

Falling on a bruise said...

In that case yopu should be shaking your head and Ruin DMC didn't sing it as well as whoever.

Anonymous said...

It was Aerosmith originally, and I've long been of the opinion that they suck, too. Run DMC, however, did add an extra element of suckiness that I'm sure the girls you're talking about compounded greatly.

I'm sorry if I was rude, but the irony struck me as hilarious.

Paula said...

Oh, too funny! Aerosmith was every boy's fave band when I was a freshman in HS. I hated them. I've heard Walk This Way sooo many times, bleh. The original, I mean. Haven't heard any of the others.

I have to admit the Dixie Chicks did a good job on one of my all time faves, Stevie Nicks' Landslide. Oh, and Soul Asylum's Runaway Train is (I have to say it) better than Tom Petty's.

The Intolerant One said...

While on the topics of "covers"....

I always felt Lenny Kravitz completely obliterated/destroyed my hometown boys, The Guess Who's, American Woman.

On the other hand, Skid Row did a really awesome job of Jimi Hendrix's "Little wing".

Some can do great cover tunes, maybe better then the original but others need to stay far away from it.

Falling on a bruise said...

The greatest cover i have ever heard would have to be Whitneys version of "I will always love you". The last section after the short instrumental break gives me shivers. Dolly Parton must be sick she allowed her to sing it, and then do it a million times better.

Jodie Kash said...

Great covers on "If I Were a Carpenter", a compilation/tribute to the songs of the Carpenters with a mid-90's, alternative sound. I love the cheekiness and fresh vibe.

In that spirit, the best cover of all time, EVER...
Joey Ramone, "What a Wonderful World".

Daniel said...

"What a Wonderful World." Yeah!