Friday 24 June 2022

Special Guest Blogger: Anne Bonny

As a red haired Irish woman of course i was known for my quick temper and fighting skills which were ideal qualifications for a career in piracy, a profession in which women were very much under-represented.
After my father moved his mistress, my mum, and i from Ireland to Carolina to escape his wife's family, we did quite well financially and ended up owning a plantation with servants, one of which i stabbed after an argument which my father frowned upon but not as much as the man i began dating and then married, a poor sailor and small-time pirate named James Bonny.
So frowny was pop in fact that he disowned me and kicked us out of his house which i subsequently tried to burn down in retaliation which is how we ended up in Nassau in the Bahamas, a haven for pirates and a financial opportunity for my failed pirate husband who became an informer to the local Governor which resulted in a multitude of pirates being arrested.
As i had got to know many of them in the taverns, i really disliked the work my husband had taken up as i said to Calico Jack Rackham one day who not only offered to pay for me to get out of my marriage, but offered to take me pirating on board his ship, the Ranger.
My husband refused so one night i packed my things and sailed off into the sunset with Rackham or at least as far as Cuba. I dressed as a man as nobody would know i was a woman although when i became pregnant with Rackham's child it was pretty obvious, despite spending their lives at sea, even pirates know enough biology to work that one out.  
After a quick stop off in Cuba again to give birth, i rejoined Rackham and continued the pirate life shivering timbers around the Caribbean and i was even named on the infamous 'Wanted Pirates' list but the life of a pirate generally ends in death or capture and it was the latter for me, caught while we were so drunk celebrating a capture of a ship that the Governors troops just walked on and clapped us in irons.    
Convicted and sentenced to be hanged, i was spared because i was pregnant again and received a stay of execution and then was released after my father pleaded my case and i returned to Carolina where i married, had children, and lived out the remainder of my life in peace and harmony.

No comments: