Thursday 2 June 2022

Special Guest Blogger: Benjamin Guggenheim

I started out working at my fathers copper smelting company and we were very wealthy which is how i ended up on the RMS Titanic on it's maiden voyage from Southampton to New York.  
I had a reputation of being the perfect gentleman and i was, i always picked up a few trinkets for my wife back home on my business trips and always treated my mistress to the best of things also and on that particular trip i bought her the finest things in the ports of Southampton, Cherbourg and Ireland and picked up a few trinkets for the wife back home.
My wife never joined me on the Titanic trip so it was just me and my valet and obviously as my wife was at home, i took my mistress Leontine who was a pretty famous French Opera Singer at the time and after Ireland it was full steam ahead for New York and tea and crumpets at Macy's only things took a bit of a turn.
Just after midnight on 14th April i was awoken by a steward screaming in the corridors of the first class suite that the ship had hit an iceberg.
My initial reaction was to say shut up you damn fool, the ships unsinkable, it said so right here in the brochure.
The shouting continued so we went to investigate and sure enough, the few life boats we had on-board were being filled with women and children and being lowered down to the sea so i made sure Leontine was on one and as the boat was being lowered i shouted out not to be concerned, the ship will be repaired and we will soon see each other again tomorrow.
The way the ship was listing it was obvious that it had more holes in it than a teenage Goth and as the last of the lifeboats sailed away, i turned to my valet and asked him if he fancied a drink.
We returning to our quarters and donned our finest evening suits, went to the bar and poured ourselves a brandy and took a cigar and went and sat on the deckchairs on the upper deck.
As the water slopped against our ankles, then our knees, then our chests we drank and smoked until the water put out the cigars and then our lights as the ship slipped to the bottom of the Atlantic.
In life i was very much at the top but in death i was at the bottom and as far as i know, apart from a few fish nibbles, i kind of stayed there.

No comments: