Sunday 30 August 2020

Special Guest Blogger: Charlie Chaplin

Fate ordained that Adolf Hitler and i should make our entries into the world within four days of each other and that little Austrian had an effect on my life and career.
I remain one of the most instantly recognizable film stars of all time and my face become so iconic that some people don't even realise i was a real person and not just a generic mascot for black-and-white movies sporting what would eventually become the most unfortunate moustache ever.
I was a huge star of the silent film era, making several films featuring the Little Tramp character, as well as a handful of scathing political satires, including The Great Dictator, which ridiculed Hitler before making fun of Hitler was cool. The movie was a huge financial success and it's widely considered to be my masterpiece mostly for the epic four-minute speech at the end but it was the speech that led to me being investigated by the FBI and called to testify in front of the House
Un-American Activities Committee.
My speech raging against world governments was reprinted in leaflets by the Communist Party and the FBI began taking a closer look at my file and once my left-wing views became known, i was called an anti-American Commie.
While in London for the premiere of my next film, Limelight, the U.S. kindly invited me to stay the hell out by revoking my passport, effectively exiling me from the country.
Me being a Communist was pretty obvious, my films were intend to be well aimed shots against poverty and inequality with the common theme always the poor guy handing it to the wealthy and powerful so my pro-Communist messages should have hit everyone squarely between the eyes at every turn.
This slipped under the radar as possibly Communist, as did my friendship with William Z. Foster, who would go on to become general secretary of the Communist Party of the United States of America.
Ironic as it was that at my height i was the second largest earner in America, $13,000 a week from the Mutual Film Corporation.
When you know all this and hear the Great Dictator speech where i said lines such as: 'In this world there is room for everyone and the earth is rich and can provide for everyone' and 'Let us fight for a new world, a decent world that will give men a chance to work, that will give you the future and old age and security', you realise that far from just being that man with a Hitler moustache who fell over a lot, i was subliminally showing pro-Communist messages to millions of Americans in the most anti-Communist country in the World and got paid $13,000 a week to do it.
Got to love that and i'm proud that a silent movie star spoke one of the greatest monologues in the history of movies.

No comments: