Friday 14 August 2020

Special Guest Blogger: Percy Julian

They say history is written by the winners, but frankly i'm pretty sure history is just written by idiots because how come the guy who isolated the hormones progesterone, estrogen and testosterone which are in pretty much everything of what's in our medicine cabinets is unknown.
I gave the world birth control pills, arthritis cream, asthma inhalers, eczema and cancer treatments, hemorrhoids and the cream for allergies but i'm unknown.
Much of the vast majority of the things we use every day were created by people whose names we never bothered to learn, such as me.
I was working at Howard University but as a black man in America in the 40's, there wasn't a university in the country that would offer me a spot in a doctorate program for me to gain my PHD so i flicked them the finger and buggered off to Vienna University in Austria.
Homesick, stressed and still angry over having to leave my own country to get my Doctorate, i sent a letter or twelve to one of my former colleagues back home in which i slaged off everyone at the University but years later, clutching my freshly printed Doctorate, i ended up back at that same University and face to face with the people i had bad mouthed and my pen pal who in a pique of jealousy, accidentally slipped all my letters to the staff and press, who found it totally appropriate to publish them.
Then, as if having my private smack-talk letters made public wasn't enough, i was accused of having an affair with my assistant's wife, which i was but that's not the point, i had made sure she wouldn't get pregnant by playing my part in inventing a pill that would make sure she couldn't.
I was forced to quit Howard University and left town humiliated and vilified but as i have always maintained, success is all about not annoying the right people, everyone remembers Louis Pasteur for cripes sake and all he did was invent hot milk, i relieved peoples piles for crying out loud.

No comments: