Friday 4 November 2022

Special Guest Blogger: Divine

I put on a wig, make -up and a dress and, to be honest, rather than looking like a beautiful women, i looked like a man in a dress wearing lipstick and mascara but i didn't let that stop me.
I grew up as a typical spoiled American brat in an affluent family which apparently meant giving me a lot to eat which also meant the kids at School liked to pick on me not only because i was fat but because i was not what you would call masculine and it didn't help when i took a job at a flower shop.
I discovered that i found both men and women attractive which in 1962 America was quite a thing but i found an outlet at a local Beauty School learning to style hair and it was here that i began to experiment with drag and hanging out in gay bars and met an aspiring filmmaker by the name of John Waters and it was he who christened me Divine.
Together we began making short films and not just any old films, we aimed to make the trashiest films we could think of and it began gently enough and then we really ramped up the controversy with our movie about driving around Baltimore with an unconscious woman in the car and picking up a naked hitchhiker but the police found out and began arresting everyone involved in the film.
They say any publicity is good publicity and the controversy got us noticed and the Press coverage meant more people went to see our films which were held at small scale showings so now we had some attention we took the controversy up to another level and aimed to out-trash the previous films so we had me in a church using a rosary in a very inappropriate way and eating a human heart although we used a cows heart which did give me a divine case of diarrhea, but it was worth it.  
It was an underground success and i got work in New York theaters and clubs as the 'Godzilla of drag queens' and i had a write up in Life magazine and was approached by a record producer to make an album, The Story So Far... and made a western, Lust in The Dust and then the Big One, Hairspray.
Finally i had arrived but just as i made it in mainstream America, three weeks after Hairspray premiered i went up to my hotel room to sleep and never woke up, my heart decide that it had enough of dragging around my 300lb body and gave up.
The word 'Divine' generally evokes feelings of holiness but after me, the name Divine brings up something rather more unholy.

No comments: