Tuesday 9 October 2012

Science Lessons From The BIble

'God’s word is true. I’ve come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell. It’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who are taught that from understanding that they need a saviour. There’s a lot of scientific data that I found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I believe that the Earth is about 9,000 years old. I believe that it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says. And what
I’ve come to learn is that it’s the manufacturer’s handbook, is what I call it. It teaches us how to run our lives individually. How to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society. And that’s the reason, as your congressman, I hold the Holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I’ll continue to do that.”

This is the view of religion according to Paul Broun from Georgia. A pretty standard view for those who believe in such things and a view that would see you dismissed as a crank if you repeated it outside the confines of a Church here in Britain where religion is weak but not in America where 46% of people think that God made humans within the past 10,000 years.
If Paul Broun was your everyday American then his view would be in line with most, but as he is on the U.S. House Committee on Science, Space and Technology who help shape the future of science in America, it's a bit more shocking.
Alongside him, shaping this future is Todd Akin of 'legitimate rape' fame and his belief that pregnancies are not likely to result from rape.

I think that the politest thing to do would be to say that I disagree with Mr Broun while the impolite thing would be to say that he should be one of the last people who should be allowed on a science committee with his primitive, outdated and frankly ridiculous belief system. 
I really should check what the Bible says about things like space travel and nuclear power but while i look Mr Broun, run that bit past us from Genesis again where God created light on the first day and then created the Sun on the fourth day. Now that's science Biblical fashion.

No comments: