Friday 10 July 2020

Special Guest Blogger: Allen Collins

There were quite a few of us in Lynyrd Skynyrd and i was the lanky one dressed all in white, bushy long hair flowing in the wind, shredding my guitar during Freebird.
Musicians die young all the time and i died aged just 37 but people would drop dead like flies around me before that so Lucy is taking a chance asking me to come here because it seems that most people i was associated with died, Final Destination style.
We were all good ol' southern boys but God must have been on a break that famous day of our plane crash which killed three of my band members and seriously injuring me, severely damaging my right arm. We also landed in a swamp filled with alligators and several survivors who went for help got shot at by a farmer but God looked down at me that day and smiled, deciding he hadn't stopped screwing with me just yet.  
After my recovery i got together a new band with a few of the Lynyrd boys and just as we were preparing our debut tour, my wife died as a result of a hemorrhage but God looked down at me and smiled, deciding he wanted to screw with me some more yet.
Another band, this time the Allen Collins Band with the rest of the Skynyrd survivors and with Van Zant’s younger brother Johnny on vocals but as the group was preparing for a Skynyrd reunion tour i crashed my car and killed my new girlfriend and left myself paralysed from the waist down with limited use of my arms and hands and unable to play again.
God finally stopped screwing with me and instead gave me pneumonia and i finally died in 1990 but my song Free Bird and the kick-ass guitar solo at the end has kept my memory alive but the guitar solo was only originally added to give Van Zant a chance to rest during our shows.
Lynyrd Skynyrd are still going and touring and making albums proving not even a plane crash that killed half the band could stop us.

No comments: