Wednesday 29 July 2020

Special Guest Blogger: Rosa Parks

The most any of us has ever gotten out of a bus ride is covered in pee and chewing gum on the seat of our pants but that famous bus journey i took got the American civil rights movement rolling and all because i refused to relinquish my seat in the coloured section to a white passenger, after the whites-only section was filled.
Almost certainly i was only one lady in a long line of black women who refused to give up their seats but for that i was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Congressional Gold Medal, had my face plastered on a stamp and was named one of the most influential women of the 20th century which is not too shabby for a day's ride home after work.
My arrest for violating segregation laws led to the Montgomery bus boycott, which in turn increased exposure for the Civil Rights Movement and what went in my favour was that i looked like a mousey school-marm and my notoriety made me a target for every racist in America but i was nonthreatening and likable and that's how that's how over the next 65 years we ended racism in America forever. Didn't we?
Yes, i was fired from my job and received death threats for years afterwards but the real guy who kickstarted the whole civil rights movement was actually the racist guy who said to me, 'Get up, that's my seat', kinda backfired on him.
Ironically everyone keeps talking about how i stood up for civil rights but i didn't stand up at all, that was the whole point.

No comments: