Saturday 18 July 2020

Special Guest Blogger: Lord Byron

The phase mad, bad and dangerous to know was actually coined for me and there are many weird and wacky things attributed to me and fortunately most are true. While at Cambridge, when i was told i couldn't keep a dog i did go out and get a bear which stayed with me in my dorm room. I also kept in my house ten horses, eight dogs, three monkeys, five cats, an eagle, a crow, a falcon, five peacocks, two guinea hens and an Egyptian Crane, turning my house into Noah's Ark meant the smell was atrocious but it was worth it.
My daughter was Ada Lovelace, i did have a club foot, i did eat only bread and potatoes in vinegar, i was a collector of my lovers pubic hair  and i would have sex with literally anything and anyone, including my half sister. I lived the rock 'n' roll lifestyle well before the damned thing had even been invented.
If you partied with me for an hour you either ended up drunk and/or pregnant, but you would think my legacy would be as being considered one of the greatest English poets, second only to Shakespeare but as hardly anybody reads poetry now, my real legacy is much wider known.
Picture a vampire, thin, pale, dark clothes right? Well every modern vampire you see is based on me and all that comes from the same summer 'who can write the best horror story' night at Lake Geneva, the one where Percy Shelley's wife wrote her book.
My story was a tale of vampyres that i had heard but instead of the short, furry animals who sucked blood, i put myself in their place and my doctor, Dr. John William Polidori, wrote it down and using my image and traits of a mysterious aristocrat who charms his victims before feasting on them, published it, complete with my description in the vampyre role and 80 years later Bram Stoker rewrote my doctor's story complete with the description of me , called it Dracula and the image has been used for every vampire since.
Having lived at the turn of the 19th century, i of course died terribly at the ripe old age of thirty six but all the poetry is okay, but i'd rather be known for giving the World Buffy!

No comments: