Friday 31 July 2020

Special Guest Blogger: Elliot Ness

I was best known for leading a special Chicago task force known as 'The Untouchables' whose mission was to bring down the infamous gangster Al Capone.
Pretty ironic that the first thing i did when Prohibition ended was have a drink or 20 and i ended up a alcoholic but we got Capone for tax evasion although all the later films concentrate on my team, a movie where someone breaks down a graph of the taxpayer income and outgoings wouldn't have been half as exciting.
Capone and i lived on the same street for about five years but that was before i became a cop.
Prohibition wasn’t exactly popular in the US, and possibly the only thing more unpopular were the prohibition agents but we dumped thousands of gallons of beer and alcohol in the sewers.
Chicago had become one of the most crime-ridden cities in the US and the Chicago Crime Commission promised to do something about Al Capone. The Bureau of Internal Revenue was already investigating him for tax fraud, but they were hoping to get him faster on prohibition violation charges.
Capone offered me $2,000 to look the other way, but i refused the bribe despite the fact that it would have been almost as much as i made in a year, untouchable remember.
Trying to take down mobsters is dangerous work, and i wasn’t immune to some of the perils of the job. I had my car stolen three separate times, my office phone line was tapped, my parents watched, and three assassination attempts were made on me as well as one of my friends getting shot in the face four times.
After Capone i got a job as Chicago's safety director tasked with getting the traffic problem under control. Cleveland was the second-worst American city for traffic-related deaths and injuries but that came to a screeching halt which is something my car never did when i drove it into a lamppost while driving drunk.
Not my finest moment and i didn't actually bring down Capone but that's what everyone thinks so let's just go with that.

No comments: