Sunday 21 June 2020

Special Guest Blogger: Robert Johnson

The main thing people know about me is that i supposedly made a deal with the devil to become the Worlds greatest guitar player but if there was a deal at the cross roads that night, and i'm not saying there was, but IF there was, the songs i sang included 'Me and the Devil Blues', 'Preaching Blues (Up Jumped the Devil)', 'Hellhound on My Trail' and 'Cross Road Blues' so make of that what you will.
According to the rumour i was a real lousy guitarist and that much i can confirm, one musician i played for said i was embarrassingly bad but i was in awe of the brilliant musicians around me and i met a man who instructed me to take my guitar to a crossroad near Dockery Plantation at midnight where a man would meet me.
I had nothing to lose so off i went at midnight and there was a man standing there who took my guitar and tuned it and then played a few songs and then returned the guitar to me and said i would know be a master of the instrument in exchange for my soul.
Obviously, i assumed he was a nutter and had read to much Faust but him tuning it meant that what i played was now in key and my guitar playing improved 100%.
I went on to record 29 songs including 'I Believe I'll Dust My Broom', 'Dead Shrimp Blues', 'Malted Milk' and 'Milkcow's Calf Blues', i may have been granted a mastery of the guitar but my song naming left a lot to be desired.  
Three years after that night, i was laying dead by the side of a road, poisoned by a bottle of whiskey laced with strychnine by the jealous husband of a woman i flirted with.
The obvious question is was it worth it? On the plus side i am regarded as one of the greatest guitarists of all time so yeah, i just wished i had made the deal include some better songs, being known for songs about Milkcows, Brooms and dead Shrimps is not that cool. 

No comments: