Tuesday 11 May 2021

Special Guest Blogger: Mae West

Long before the likes of Marilyn Monroe, i was the iconic female sex symbol and film star in Old Hollywood but i was far more than just a pretty face with an alluring sex appeal even if i didn't break into films until i 39 years old.  
I began out in the world of theater in several persona's, one was as a male impersonator but even before Hollywood came knocking, i was in some very highly controversial plays, controversial because i had many African-Americans in my plays when many Americans thought they should still be picking cotton rather than on a stage and one play i was in was called SEX but it was ended when the Holy Gang objected and New York City police officers launched a raid and i was charged with obscenity and corrupting the morals of youth. I got ten days in prison for that but i only served eight, getting two days off for good behavior but the publicity was fantastic for my career.
People were always taking issue with my movies back in the day despite my never having any nudity, sexuality, or swearing but still my movies had more boots stuck into them than Imedla Marcos's shoe cupboard but the negative publicity made me a star.
My film Belle of the Nineties was originally titled It Ain’t No Sin but the Church again objected because whatever it was, the Church considered it a sin in 1920's America but for my follow-up to Sex, i starred in a play about cross dressing called The Drag and another ban and prison sentence for moral corrupting.
My move into films didn't really pull up any trees, my first was Night After Night in 1932 and my last film was Sextette in 1977 and both these films also featured film star George Raft but when my film career ended, i wrote books and plays and continued to perform in Las Vegas and the United Kingdom, on Television and radio although i was banned from radio after one particularly double entendre rich sketch with a puppet, have you got wood and you gave me splinters, that sort of thing.  
I married a man 30 years my junior who happened to be a body builder and a former Mr California but i died after i tripped while getting out of bed, turns out i had a stroke which is ironic because that is what i was trying to do when i tripped but my legacy and everlasting fame would be Coca-Cola bottles, the shape is based on my figure.

No comments: