Thursday 5 November 2020

Special Guest Blogger: Doris Day

When I was just a little girl i asked my mother what will i be? Will I be pretty? Will I be rich? What i was was America’s Sweetheart but i could have been America's first lady as i dated Ronald Reagan, there's something about Republican men but i was a God fearing right wing Conservative but in a turn up, i was a nice, decent right winger people actually liked.
It was a car accident that launched me, i was a dancer but the accident damaged my leg and as God shut that door he opened another one because as i was recovering i would sing along to the radio and my parents thought i had a good voice so they got me singing lessons and i was good enough to start in small venues but my name Doris Kappelhoff wouldn't fit on the tiny venues marquees so i went for the shortest surname i could think of and i became Doris Day.
The next door God opened for me was the one to a recording studio and i made a record 'Sentimental Journey' which propelled me to fame and another of God's doors, this one to the film studio and i made 'Romance on the High Seas' and a career of clean cut roles and rom-coms and the nickname of 'The World’s Oldest Virgin' but although i may have been deeply religious my pregnancy wasn't an immaculate conception, some things God opens is legs and i gave birth to Terry who would play a major role in something very unchristian later.  
Terry grew up to become a music producer who was being badgered by Charles Manson for a record deal but when my boy turned him down i told him to move out of their Cielo Drive home, where Manson had visited and he rented it to Roman Polanski and his pregnant wife, Sharon Tate and even God couldn't keep that door shut that dreadful night.
Something i did detest was animal cruelty and doctors, being a Christian Scientists who believed that sickness is an illusion that can be corrected by prayer alone, but there is a reason when people are ill they go to a hospital and not the local Church however and i had a change of faith when i thought i had cancer but the lump turned out to be benign.
As for being a decent right winger, i was lifelong friends with Rock Hudson and stood by him when he was diagnosed with HIV/AIDS, inviting him onto my Christian Network religious show which went down about as well as a foreskin in Tel Aviv with the staunchly anti-homosexual religious flock.
I died of pneumonia aged 97 although i thought i was 95 after finding out there was a misprint on my birth certificate i only found out about just before i died, que sera sera as i once said.

No comments: