Wednesday 17 January 2024

Special Guest Blogger: Paul Reubens

There was a time when people took drugs to make the world weird but now they take drugs to make the world seem normal and my kids show and a number of other things with the words 'Pee-wee' on them in the '80s was as far from normal as it could possibly be.
People would often ask me where i got my ideas from and the truth was i created it out of spite after being turned down at an audition for Saturday Night Live in favour of someone who was friends with the producer so i spent the whole plane ride back from New York thinking about what i was going to do to make them sorry so i decided to borrow $5,000 from my parents to become a Pee Wee (named after my harmonica of all things) and start my own damn show.
A few of my improv pals put together The Pee-wee Herman Show with madcap adventures featuring genies, puppets and talking furniture as a stage attraction, which led to an HBO special, which led to a hit TV show and a couple of movies.
We asked 1980's pop music icon Cyndi Lauper to sing the Theme Song which she did as long as it wasn't credited to her in case it harmed her career and the production assistant was Rob Zombie who went on to form the rock band White Zombie.
I was solely in charge of the show including the finances and being that weird is kind of expensive so we would go over budget every show and i would make up the difference out of my own pocket.
As the TV show was such a hit we had the idea of a full length movie and asked a new Director, Tim Burton, to make Pee-wee’s Big Adventure and Danny Elfman about scoring the movie.
We made another movie in 2016, Pee-wee’s Big Holiday, but by then i was 64 and had to use a lot of CGI to make me look as youthful as ever but as young as i looked on the outside, my insides were aging and the lung cancer and leukemia i was battling finally won. 

No comments: