Monday 15 February 2021

Special Guest Blogger: Roy Orbison

Let’s start with the elephant in the room, i was not blind, i simply performed with dark sunglasses on, a great swath of the public came to the conclusion that i was visually impaired, but i wore them to start with because i suffered from severe stage fright early on in my career and they went with my dark image.
It all nearly never happened for me, i quit performing at the start of my career as i thought the record company were being unfair but rock n roll music was just taking off and i wanted to be part of it so after 7 months i stopped sulking and started up again.
Early in their careers, both Elvis Presley and the Beatles served as the opening acts for me and i beat Dave Grohl by 40 years with the broken leg on stage thing, i did that 40 years before him when i fell off a motorbike and went on stage with my leg in a cast.
One of my first hits was 'Running Scared', putting words to Ravel's 'Bolero' and people would ask me how i could pen such heartfelt songs, well your wife and children dying would help, my wife died in a motorbike crash aged 25 and two of my children died in a fire two years later.
Encouraged by the string of hit films that Elvis Presley had starred in earlier in the decade, MGM decided to try get me into movies but i made one, The Fastest Guitar Alive —in which i was a Civil War-era spy who could shoot bullets out of a guitar which kick-started an acting career that spanned all the way from 1967 to slightly later in 1967, my movie career was one really bad film long.
I had a strong fascination with cars and a thing i would do was if i spotted a car i liked heading down the street, would be to follow it, approach the driver, and offer to buy it from them on the spot. It never occurred to me how the person would get home.
Despite having been a star primarily in the 60s, i did experience a resurgence in popularity just before the end of my life as part of the Traveling Wilburys supergroup and some original new recordings.
Ironically, it was because my career was peaking again that i never got around to making a doctor’s appointment after a month of chest pains and i died aged 52.

No comments: