Monday 22 February 2021

Special Guest Blogger: Saint Sebastian

Statistically speaking, about 75% of you are either Christian or Jewish, and about 75% haven't read the Bible so to you it's probably explains why the book has a reputation for being some nice stories about how you should stop cursing or a man living inside a whale but i am probably best known for being in the REM video, that's me tied to a tree with an arrow in his side.
I was a Roman Prison Guard but i kept quiet about being a Christian to avoid ending up as lion food but i would allow people to visit their relatives who were imprisoned due to their beliefs.
The local prefect had a daughter who was mute and i prayed that she would speak again and she did and i decided this was my chance to come out of the religious closet so to speak and announced to the prefect that i had prayed and God had used his awesome power to get his daughter to speak and he was so thrilled, he changed to Christianity and released all the Christian prisoners and resigned therefore losing me my job and bringing in a new prefect, one who was not quite so keen on Christians and ordered me killed.
Yep, that's me in the corner, that's me in the spot-light, losing my religion and the feeling in my limbs as archers filled my body with arrows but they made the fatal mistake of not checking i was dead because when they came to bury me, they found i was still alive and a woman took me home to nurse me back to health and i decided that when i got my strength back i would go see the Emperor and demand he stop persecuting Christians.
So there we stood, two men of honour, who have jousted together in the religious glory of our maker, face to face and how often i had rehearsed that moment of destiny in my dreams. The panoply to encapsulate the unspoken nobility of a comradeship but what i didn't think was that he would seize me and beat me to death and throw my body into the sewer.
Not the ending i was considering but it got me into one of the most famous music videos of all time but if i had prayed a little harder i always wonder if i could have got into a Gun N Roses one.

No comments: