What with Obama, Hillary and the old bloke with the comb-over taking centre stage in the US election, it is possible to overlook some of the other candidates still in the race.
The Democrats are widely regarded as the left wing's choice but looking through the list of potential presidents i spied a party that would have Joseph McCarthy spinning in his grave.
The Socialist Party USA is led by Brian Moore and the mission statement begins "People across the world need to cast off the systems which oppress them, and build a new world fit for all humanity". Very worthy.
So what does the American Socialist believe in?
- Abolition of the Patriot Act
- Against the U.S. Government eavesdropping on Americans
- Opposes domestic spying of American citizens
- Opposes waterboarding and any form of prisoner abuse and torture
- Is against Guantanemo and special rendition
- Opposes the threat to free speech and lawful dissent in America
According to their (rather naff) website, The Socialist Party want to Stop the Iraq War, implement a national health care system for all, guarantee an income of $35,000 pa for all working families, wide programme of Nationalisation, phase out nuclear power plants, end the Cuban embargo, end US aid to Israel, support the Kyoto Protocol, end capital punishment and stop restrictions on access to abortion.
Now that's my kind of political party. Unless i stumble across someone better between now and November, the Socialist Party USA get my pretend vote.