Thursday 4 June 2020

Special Guest Blogger: Marc Bolan

I made men wearing glitter and makeup fashionable so all those new romantics with their eyeliner from the early 80s have me to thank but the idea of glitter on the face as a fashion accessory came about when i dabbed some under my eyes before a photo-shoot and then couldn't get the damn stuff off in time so left it on and other performers soon took up variations on the idea and the era of glam and glitter rock was born. 
My first concert was a bit of a mess, i was booed off stage but i am credited with inventing Glam Rock with songs such as 20th Century Boy and Children of the Revolution but eerily 'Solid Gold Easy Action' contains the line 'Life is the same and it always will be, Easy as picking foxes from a tree' but if i had known what that turned out to be i would have changed it to Picking lottery numbers from a tree and living to 100.
Four years after i wrote it, while riding in a car driven by my girlfriend, she swerved into a tree killing me and the eerie bit is the car registration was FOX 661L and they had to pick me out of it.
I never learned to drive, refused to actually as the idea of driving a tonne of metal at high speed scared me but i did own a Rolls Royce which on the night i died had been leant to the band Hawkwind which is the only reason we were in the Mini that night.
So be careful when you write down whatever rhyming couplets come to mind songwriters, Bob Geldof has avoided getting out of bed on a Monday ever since.

No comments: