Saturday 13 July 2024

Music And Ideology?

I was about 10 when my dad bought me a battered old Fender Stratocaster and asked his friends son to teach me how to play it and we would spend most of the time going through how to make an E Chord, then an A or C chord and finish off with a well known song using those chords and as punk and rock is basically few chords, it was this music I was introduced to and one of the very first songs I played along to on a crackly old cassette was New Rose by The Damned, a very fast paced punk anthem song about, well no idea actually but it was amazing to hear it coming from the instrument in my own hands. I mention this because a friend was discussing whether we choose the music which reflects our beliefs, or are do we take our direction from the music we like.
To be honest I assumed I just liked Punk because it was fast and energetic and sounded good with it's three minute riffs but I guess he could have a point, almost all Punk had an ideological message behind it so it could have seeped into my young brain on some level so with my interest piqued, I went looking for it on the Internet and came across the chart above which was an online survey where the participants were asked questions to gather their demographic information and political ideologies and asked to list their three most favourite music genres.
The results revealed that people associating themselves with certain political identities were more likely to have a liking for a certain genre of music with only Country being liked by people with a right wing outlook and the rest, Classical, Pop, Rock, Electronic, Latin, Reggae, Rap, Folk, Blues, Jazz and R&B being preferred by people leaning to the political left.
To be honest you can't swing a cat without hitting songs espousing left-wing ideals that oppose various current political regimes, reject war or call for equality to assorted oppressed groups but even with the thickest of rose-coloured glasses the right wing tune-smiths can't extract an acceptable amount of lyrics from their ideology to put together three minutes worth of song, mainly because lyrics about smaller Government, free markets and less immigration is not a toe-tapper.
I'm not convinced that our political choices are driven by the music we listen to, i'd say it was more the other way around and we like the music that meshes with our beliefs and for me, it was by luck that i found the music of Punk chimed completely with my musical taste buds and it was only later that the anti-right wing message reached the part of my brain that paid attention to the lyrics.
I am therefore popping the idea that our pop music choices decides our ideology into the box marked 'unlikely' and will go back to knowing who is right wing by looking for the dull, vacant look in their eyes and dribble stains on their t-shirts.
Alright then, after 3. 1...2...3...I can't stop this mess around, I got a brand new rose in town...


 

No comments: