Wednesday 29 April 2020

Special Guest Blogger: Duke of Wellington

I was a great military leader, but an appallingly bad Prime Minister. I beat Napoleon at Waterloo and set in motion Abba's musical career but growing bored of beating on the French, i decided to flout my popularity and image of being the 'Iron Duke' due to my military triumphs and enter politics.
I soon found myself leader of the Tory party and then Prime Minister despite not being British but hailing from Dublin in Ireland.
I didn’t even live in Downing Street as i considered it too small and pokey so stayed in my own home at Apsley House.
During my unhappy time as Britain's leader i did find the time to fight a duel with the Earl of Winchelsea after he had a pop at Catholics in which i failed to hit the target which was his big, fat head but more importantly so did he.
I famously hated train rides and avoided them like a Frenchman avoids soapy water and after meeting Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson,described him as a vain, silly man who disgusted me so in a brilliant display of ineptitude, after my death, they put my body on a train to London and buried me in a sarcophagus in St Paul's Cathedral, right next to Lord Nelson.
Considering all my battles, i died quietly sitting in a chair after suffering a stroke but my legend lives on in Wellington boots, Beef Wellington and having my face on the five pound note.
To top it all, despite being as British as a Pint of Guinness, i was voted number 15 in the BBC's poll of the 100 Greatest Britons, between Alfred The Great and Margaret Thatcher.

No comments: