Wednesday 1 April 2020

Special Guest Blogger: Pythagoras

Yes, i was the guy who came up with the Pythagorean theorem you all learned in school where the square of the hypotenuse of a right angle
triangle is equal to the sum of the square of the other two sides, remember it now?
From its name, it's pretty easy to figure out who was the person to came up with it but although it may be my name on it, people were using it
for a thousand years before i wrote it down and slammed my name onto it.
I explained that all natural phenomena could be explained mathematically and was even a major inspiration for Plato's theories of democracy
but as loved as i am by nerds everywhere, my one regret is that my religion, Pythagoreanism, never really got off the ground.
The first part was fine, souls are reincarnated but the bit about beans being evil lost me many fans.
To worship at my temple you had to forgoe eating beans as well as be a vegetarian and be a pacifist but it was two of these things which actually got me killed.
My church was attacked by bean eating anti-Pythagoreans but rather than fight them (atheist remember), i ran away but my path was blocked by a bloody great bean field of all things and i refused to run through it, since doing so would violate my touching of the evil beans teachings,
so i stopped instead and my attackers caught up with me and killed me.
Still, my legacy is that if you look at a triangle and think ah, Pythagoras' theorem, a2 + b2 = c2, then you really missed out on a lot of fun behind the bike sheds during all those boring maths lessons.

No comments: