Saturday 25 April 2020

Special Guest Blogger: Jim Morrison

People who think they know about music like to pretend that The Doors were an incredibly heavy band, embodying the image of me as a tortured poet. I had the look, the achingly pretentious song lyrics and the tight leather trousers with some of my most enigmatic lyrics encompassed on the song 'The End'.
It seemed to reference the Greek tale of Oedipus but it was actually about splitting up with a girlfriend and then moving west across America to find lots and lots of sex.
Even to the most hard of thinking, i sing about riding the snake and for those still struggling with it, i even say 'Come on baby, fuck me baby' several times over and over.
As poetic as some might believe me to have been, it's also important to remember that i did an awful lot of drugs, and i mean an AWFUL lots of drugs and was away with the fairies pretty much constantly during the writing and recordings of our songs, songs which i filled with drugs references.
Our band took it's name from the title of Aldous Huxley's book 'The Doors of Perception' which is all about psychedelic drug use and drugs played a significant role in my life and ultimately my death, being found dead at age 27 in a bathtub in a Parisian apartment.
As there was no autopsy the official cause of death was listed as heart failure, which sounds better than drowned in the bath while off his tits on LSD.
Time could have tarnished my legacy a bit and people could have noticed that my position in musical history was more down to my image as i didn't have a great voice and my lyrics were a bit naff so i'm eternally thankful that the even worse sounding Lou Reed came along to take the heat off me.

No comments: