Saturday 21 November 2020

Special Guest Blogger: F. Scott Fitzgerald

I was desperate to be an accepted author but i always struggled to keep my attention span long enough to write a full length novel so i decided to buckle down and think of an idea, or the next thing i would have to find was employment as an insurance salesman which i had no intention of doing, because i wanted to be young and wild, then I want to be middle-aged and rich, then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending that i'm deaf so i followed that wise old writers mantra that you should write about what you know, and what i knew was the glitz, glamor, and debauchery of the Roaring Twenties high society and drinking enough alcohol until it came out your ears.
My first name was Francis but i opted to use the name F Scott Fitzgerald to avoid confusion with my relative Francis Scott Fitzgerald who wrote the lyrics to the 'The Star Spangled Banner', i completed four novels during my lifetime but my most famous is The Great Trimalchio of West Egg which became The Great Gatsby at the insistence of the publishers.
My wife and i, Zelada, were the celebrity couple of our time, appearing on magazine covers and giving interviews to the biggest publications and as we were both alcoholics and frequently waking up next to people who were not me or her, we often made the occasional front page also and she even accused me of having a gay relationship with Ernest Hemingway of all people, that man was so macho he could multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it.
She went mad and ended up in a mental hospital and i ended up dying of a heart attack aged just 44 but by then The Great Gatsby had only sold 25,000 copies and critics called it boring and a dud, so i went to my grave thinking that i was a footprint in the footprint in the list of famous authors.
Luckily for me WW2 came along and the publisher has 123,000 unsold copies in a warehouse which it gave away free to to US soldiers and it became widely read and earned the name 'classic' so if you ever want something you created to get a second look, try starting a war.

No comments: