Friday 5 November 2021

Special Guest Blogger: Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette

As a wannabe author, you would think that marrying an established author, even a Z-List one, would be a good move, a way to ingratiate myself into the world of literacy and it did get my novels into publication, although it wasn't my name on the dust cover, it was my husbands.
Willy read my work and admitted that my writing was much better than his so he took the decision that he didn't need to write anything himself anymore so as the saying goes, when God closes a door he opens a window but in my case the window was then firmly nailed shut so that i couldn't escape our home.
He did have a reputation of stealing other peoples work, he would often collaborate on books and then forget about those who helped him and claim the credit for the work and he conveniently forgot to mention that i had actually written the first Claudine book, Claudine At School, based on my own formative years,
It became a hit and spawned a whole series, and even a range of merchandising tie-ins such as Claudine perfume and Claudine was hailed as the voice of a new generation of women, which made it even more stranger when people thought that it had been written by a 40-year-old man.
He demanded i write more books and when i confronted Willy and asked for due credit, he did what any supportive partner would do and locked me in a room, refusing to let me out until i had finished writing another book.
After the fourth Claudine book, i left my husband but found that as he held the copyright, i wasn't able to claim a centime so i wrote more books, the most famous being La Vagabonde and Gigi and in 1948 was nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature and was hailed as France's greatest woman writer.
I married a second time, this time a man without a hammer, nails or a foreskin which the Gestapo were very interested in when they invaded France during WW2 and arrested all the Jews but he was released after a few months when i approached the German ambassador.
Meanwhile, Willy squandered all of my Claudine money on gambling and booze, and is now only remembered as my douchebag of an ex-husband.

No comments: