Tuesday 8 June 2021

Special Guest Blogger: Aaron Burr

During the American War of Independence i was part of the army marching to Quebec and we stopped at a woods and i wandered off on my own to drink some water from a nearby brook. By chance an enemy British officer arrived at the other side of the brook at that time and didn't immediately shoot me but instead the British guy offered me his cup and then we sat and chatted and i mention it because i always had a soft spot for the British, even when i went on to become the Vice President of the U.S. during which time i became most famous for shooting a dude in a duel.
That came about after a guy named Alexander Hamilton called me 'a dangerous man and one who ought not to be trusted with the reins of government' so i went to see him and have a word with him about it. Now Hamilton was a mouthy git who handed out duel challenges like candy but when he bad mouthed me i smack talked him back and as expected he handed out the usual duel ultimatum and to his shock i took him up on it and we faced off with pistols ready.
Hamilton fired first and being a jerk he missed but i didn't and my bullet found its mark right in his stomach and he died there on the spot.
My political career not unsurprisingly collapsed after that bit of homicide and i was sacked as VP although i was somehow found not guilty of murder at the trial but i wasn't ready to give up running a country so decided to try and create my own.
I traveled to Philadelphia and offered my services to the British and explained that i wanted to help them take over the Louisiana territory and Mexico but the Brits were not interested so i decided to press ahead regardless. I got myself a riverboat and set off down the Ohio River, at which point i  realised that i didn't have an army so, on the way to New Orleans, i recruiting any and every settler i encountered to my cause.
Unsurprisingly, it didn't take long for word of my revolution to reach the authorities who ordered me arrested but at my trial the great American justice system once again found me not guilty so i nipped off sharpish to Britain but still couldn't get their support and i kept nagging at them so much that they ended up booting me out so i returned to New York and married a wealthy widow but it lasted only four months then she divorced me and her divorce lawyer was Alexander Hamilton Jr., the son of the dead duelist and the divorce was officially completed on September 14 1836 which wasn't a great day for me as the decree nisi was the last thing i read as i died that same day.

No comments: