Wednesday 19 August 2020

Special Guest Blogger: Audrey Hepburn

My Parents may have been Nazi Sympathizers, attending Nuremberg rallies but as the Nazi's stamped through Europe, my mother had a change of heart and made the assumption that the Netherlands would safe and relocated with me to Arnhem. The Nazi's never got that memo though as they quickly overran the country moths later.
As a child i worked for the Dutch Resistance in Nazi-occupied Europe, transporting secret messages in my ballet slippers to raise money for the rebels and their underground war against Hitler, money we could have done with as we were boiling grass, nettles and tulip bulbs.
My image is one of sophistication and class and it was probably no surprise that i has a pet deer called Pippin who was in one of my movies and i was told to spending some time with so it would become comfortable around me. So, like any good actress working with a newbie, i took the newcomer under my wing and introduced Pippin to the Hollywood lifestyle.
I was full of grace, elegance, and humility but things could have been very different as i was training to become a dental assistant when i was discovered sitting by a river and chain smoking and asked to star in a play.
I thought i had a big nose and big feet, and far too skinny but Hollywood came knocking and my career defining role as Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany’s which was originally meant for Marilyn Monroe and Truman Capote, who wrote the novel on which the movie was based, said that i was terrible in it but he always did have a thing for dumb blondes.
My singing voice was not good in My Fair Lady' and my vocals were replaced by a proper singer and Humphrey Bogart said i couldn’t act and had little talented and even Marlon Brando turned down a part because he didn’t like me but i don't think i did too bad for a skinny girl with a big nose who was raised on a diet of crushed tulip bulbs.

No comments: