Friday 9 April 2021

Special Guest Blogger: Syd Barrett

Rock stars are meant to be a bit weird and out there and it's not just part of the act either because the best tunes comes from brains which are broken and that can be through drinking, snorting or inhaling all sorts of interesting things or as in my case, popping LSD tablets like smarties.
I was the original singer and guitarist for Pink Floyd and we were The Abdabs, The Screaming Abdabs, Sigma 6, T-Set, The Meggadeaths and the Pink Floyd Sound before we settled on that name when we went to record our debut Album.
It was me who wrote all the early songs and guided the band through the experimental stage in the 1960s which is no mean feat as i was living through a fog of acid in which i existed which got heavier and heavier until i was barely able to function.
There would be times when 6.30pm became 11.30pm without me noticing and sometimes that was on stage where i would stand perfectly still either just staring into space or repeatedly striking the same chord on my guitar for the entire performance so the band hired another guitarist, Dave Gilmour, to play my bits when i was too out of my mind to perform, which tended to be most of the time.
Since i had written all their songs up to that point, the band was reluctant to give me the boot entirely and tried to keep me around but eventually they just sacked me but i wasn't the type to sit at home sulking, i instead did that from the front row of their concerts and just stood there staring evils at them.
I did try and make a solo album but that turned out as well as can expected from a man out of his face on LSD and i went to live with my parents in Cambridge until i died of cancer but when the history book of music is written it will show that i was the force behind one of the biggest bands in the 70's and although i may not remember it, i'd been there and i knew what the rock n roll lifestyle was and believe me, it's far better to have lived and lost it than to listen to a whole album by bloody Olivia Newton-John.

No comments: