Saturday 5 October 2019

Get Well Soon Bernie

Somehow, i don't know how, but i have gotten myself on the Bernie Sanders email list and i have recently been receiving emails from his campaign team asking for a donation of $2 and a list of the changes he is going to make in America and today i received a request to complete a survey asking me what issues are the most important to me.
I did reply that my recycling bin still hasn't been replaced after it was stolen weeks ago and the light outside my garage has been broken since June but i'm not sure what a Vermont Congressman will be able to do about it but he asked so i told him. 
I read in the newspapers yesterday that the 78 year old suffered a heart attack and i thought he would probably drop out of the race now but this morning an email showed up in my inbox thanking me for my best wishes and a clever email using his health scare as a call for restructuring of the 'dreadful health care in America'.
I didn't have the heart to say that i didn't actually send any good wishes, although obviously i do, and that the walk from my garage to the front door as the dark nights start to draw in is much more of an immediate concern than the state of the American Health care System but i do appreciate for Americans the lack of affordable Health care is more pressing than my defunct street light.
In his email, Bernie says that he is feeling good and was fortunate to have good health care but millions of Americans are not as lucky as he was and people are dying because they can't afford to get to a doctor or buy the medicine they need.
It goes on to say that it is unacceptable that more than half a million Americans declare bankruptcy each year because they cannot pay off the outrageous cost of a medical emergency or a hospital stay and it is long past time that we end the international embarrassment of the United States being the only major country on Earth that does not guarantee health care to all its citizens.
It ends with a message that 8,000 people a day make a contribution to his campaign just above a big 'Donate' button and i say well done for turning a negative into a positive and using the heart attack as a way to bring attention to the wonky American Health Care system.
If he can sort out my recycling bin and get my light fixed then i would be happy to donate $2 (or £1.62) to his campaign which he can use to pay for a campaign advert or put towards his heart medication because it isn't cheap, well not in America anyway.

2 comments:

Liber - Latin for "The Free One" said...

Yeah, American political candidates are not supposed to take money from foreigners... but law doesn't stop the left. In fact, they aren't supposed to solicit money from foreigners either... So, his campaign already violated the law. It is their responsibility to insure they know who they solicit...

new phrase for Trump to use is "Dirty Bernie"

Falling on a bruise said...

If he doesn't get my light sorted than the £1.62 stays firmly in my purse.