Saturday 5 September 2020

Special Guest Blogger: Jean-Jacques Rousseau

An 18th-century philosopher who helped form the modern political, sociological, and educational thought which is a surprise considering that i barely made it day to day alive considering how much i had wrong with me.
My friends called it hypochondria but i checked with a medical encyclopedia and feeling a bit dizzy one day, i found a few medical books and began to read about Typhoid Fever. Before i had even finished the list of symptoms i realised that i had got it.
I sat for a while, frozen with horror and then, in the listlessness of despair, i turned the page and read about St Vitus Dance, again read the symptoms and discovered that i had that also and must have had it for months without knowing it.
Wondering what else I was suffering from, i found the index and starting alphabetically, read up on Ague, and learned that I was sickening for it, and was in the early stages of Bright’s disease although i was relieved to find i only had it in a mild form.
Cholera I had and also Diphtheria while Epidermolysis Bullosa? I seemed to have been born with.  I plodded conscientiously through the twenty-six letters, learning i had everything from Acute Valley Fever to Zymosis and as there were no more diseases after Zymosis, i concluded there was nothing else the matter with me.
Somehow i managed to write some of the stuff you learnt in college and then forget all about but i was considered one of the most influential philosophers of all time.
My seminal work, The Social Contract, inspired the Declaration of Independence and strongly shaped the Constitution although the bits about guns was all theirs, i never wrote that.
My most important was the 1762 book Emile, or On Education, a treatise on the education of children where i refused to accept the strict, authoritarian education style of the day and maintained that children should be free to discover the world on their own, play, and explore, with an ever approachable father always present to answer their questions about the nature of the world.
My philosophical nemesis Voltaire called me a hypocrite as i dumped all of my five children outside the door of an orphanage but i shut him up because i never dumped them at the door, i took them inside, which shows what a liar he was.

No comments: