Friday 4 September 2020

Special Guest Blogger: Clara Bow

Boop Boop Be Doop, that me, Betty Boop is me in cartoon form although you wouldn't have known that because i was a silent movie star but my star fell quicker than a fat kid at a skating rink.
I was never one of those actresses who would light up the room, i was more likely to light up a fag but i was the first 'It Girl' which was the name of my blockbuster movie at the time, 'It', and earned me the nickname.
I was a flapper actress in the roaring 20s wearing short skirts, short hair, and generally having good, reckless fun all the time, living life to the limit, and becoming a tabloid staple during the heady years of my fame. I had no problem carousing late into the night and then rolling onto the film set in the early hours of the morning, taking whatever lover i pleased along the way. Some of my most famous flings included the heartthrob actors Gary Cooper and I partied and canoodling with actors such as John Wayne and Bela Lugosi.
Then it all came crashing down when Hollywood shifted from silent films to talkies and audiences were shocked at what they heard because i had a very strong Brooklyn accent.
Talkies were now the thing in Hollywood and the stress of talkies pushed me over the limit. My nerves were shot and then one of my best friends turned on me after i found out she had been conning me out of money and took her to court.
Somehow i ended up with all the backlash, especially when she revealed all of my worst secrets in front of the judge and jury, relating a series of stories about my fast and loose ways, tales of my fondness for public sex, threesomes with prostitutes and, oh yeah, fornicating with dogs.
True or not, it didn’t matter. The tabloids started running vicious stories about me and the damage to my career was catastrophic. The public and my studio no longer considered me an independent, sexually liberated woman, they saw me as a dog lover in the worst possible way.
When the i died from a heart attack at the age of 65, i was a has-been by choice, locking myself up in my bungalow for decades, and i passed almost entirely alone. Yet that wasn’t the only tragedy.
As the the bulk of all silent films were stored on ludicrously flammable nitrate stock, and Hollywood didn't even think of them as something worth preserving until 1935 and around 70 percent of Hollywood's silent films are plain gone. Fuhgedaboutit? They certainly did.

No comments: