Monday 29 March 2021

Special Guest Blogger: Cliff Burton

Usually, when a rocker dies it's by a drug overdose, plane crash or choking on their vomit but i am the only one who can boast that they were killed by their own tour bus.
I quit college at 19 and my parents made me a deal saying they would support me for four years and if i wasn't making a living as a musician, i would have to get a proper job but within 18 months i had gone from a local band named after a local topless bar to one of the biggest metal bands ever, Metallica.
James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich head-hunted me and the whirlwind of fame started and fame was like a drug, but what was even more like a drug were the drugs.
We took industrial amounts of LSD, magic mushrooms, weed and pot but no matter how wrecked we were, it worked and we put out some great music to give yourself a headache to.
We played the Castle Donington Festival in Britain and were greeted by a hail of beer cans and plastic bottles of piss because to British metalheads showering you in their urine is the height of acceptance.
While in the UK i got stopped by a couple of Policemen who looked at me, saw the long hair and bumfluff facial hair and expected that if they patted me down they would find my pockets stuffed with drugs and they were, my cough medicine, the real stuff was in the tour bus, they did apologise afterwards though.
We were on our third album and things were really taking off when we were on the Swedish leg of the Damage Inc. tour but we had one of the most uncomfortable tour buses ever but some of the bunks were better than others and Kirk Hammett and i drew playing cards to see who got first choice of bunk, i won and chose the top one with the window while he went to sleep up front.
Whether the driver fell asleep or the bus hit an icy patch, the bus began careening from side to side and i was thrown out of the bus’s window down a siding, the bus followed me down and crushed me but fate decided that it wasn't enough to leave me at death's door, it wanted to kick it open and shove me through it because in an attempt to save me with a crane, they lifted the bus and then dropped it on me again.
Dying from having a four tonne bus land on you twice, it just doesn't get much more heavy metal than that!!

No comments: