Monday 15 March 2021

Special Guest Blogger: Marie De’ Medici

I had it all, the wealth, the fame, the beauty and the most set of powerful parents in Italy until my mother died falling down the stairs and my father died of poisoning but with both beauty and the big bucks, Europe’s most influential suitors came knocking for me and a marriage committee was set up to find me a husband but i rejected them all until King Henry IV of France came along and with thoughts of becoming Queen of France, i agreed to wed him.
My courtiers were not sure, 'but he is French' they all exclaimed, 'yes' i replied 'but so is eating frogs, cruelty to geese and urinating in the street' but Henry was a royal catch although i never actually met the King until after our wedding but what i didn't reckon on was the French King having an official mistress, Henriette d’Entragues and what a cow she was, on our first meeting she called me 'fat' and said he only married me for my money.
I was the bigger person and grew even bigger when i got pregnant and gave Henry a son, Louis, and thought that now that he had an heir, he would make me Queen but the French court were not on my side and regarded me as a foreigner and although we went on to have six children together, i had to nag Henry for a decade before he give me my coronation and made me Queen.
Unluckily for Henry, the very next day after i was made Queen he was assassinated when his carriage got stopped in my post-coronation traffic and the fortuitous  timing meant that i was named Regent for Louis and the French being French, got all uppity and rebelled to try and remove me from power and even when Louis was old enough to take power himself, i refused to budge so he exiled me to a remote Chateau and took power himself.
I escaped and tried to start an uprising against my own son, now King Louis XIII, and he exiled me again this time to Spain but i did a tour of Europe to try and rise an army but before i could get it organised i died of pleurisy but it was wild ride and anyway the French later went and cut all the Royals heads off anyway so that seems fair.

No comments: