Wednesday 29 September 2021

Special Guest Blogger: Emilie du Chatelet

I was many things in my life, an aristocrat, a scientist, philosopher, musician and the translator of Isaac Newton's Principia Mathematica but most people know me as Voltaire's girlfriend.
I was born to a wealthy family but much to my mothers horror i possessed intelligence which saw her shuffle me off quickly to a convent but my father was not so easily embarrassed by a brainy daughter and arranged for me to meet many notable scientists of the era and with their guidance i discovered the precursor to infrared radiation, clarified the concept of energy and energy conservation, and published several important papers and in my spare time i translated Isaac Newton's tome into French despite being told due to the haphazard and nerdy way Newton wrote his notes, was impossible, but i took his theories and during the translation made them even easier to understand.
I guess if i had stopped there then i would be known as Emile du Chatelet, one of the foremost scientists of my time but despite already being married with three children, i began dating the distinguished writer and philosopher Voltaire which admittedly did help me get a platform for my scientific ideas but it ended up sabotaging my legacy.
The scientific community already scoffed at my work because i lacked the necessary and vital instruments to be taken seriously as a scientist, such as a pair of testicles and a penis, so they assumed that Voltaire was behind it and credited him with everything despite him denying it and i was relegated to Voltaire's girlfriend for the next 16 years until adding a second lover to the husband and famous lover i already had.
Poet Jean François de Saint-Lambert was his name and it was a bit of a scandal at the time but contraception was a faint glimmer in some future chemist's eye then and i became pregnant but it was a difficult birth and i died days later from a pulmonary embolism aged 42.
One of my greatest works was a book i called 'Discours sur le bonheur' or in English 'Source of human happiness' where i examined it from the perspective of a woman suffering the injustices of 18th century society in France but thinking back on that, the source of happiness could be having two lovers with the second being 10 years younger, yep, that's happiness right there , back of the net!

No comments: