Friday 17 September 2021

Special Guest Blogger: Jean-Baptiste Lully

There are many dangerous professions you could name such as miner, bomb disposal and even a chimney sweep but not many people would put Orchestra Conductor in the list but then nobody conducted like me.
It was a Franciscan friar who gave me my first music lessons, teaching me guitar and violin and i began out as a busker and was spotted by Duke Roger de Lorraine who just happened to be looking for someone to teach his niece and i was hired.
Between teaching her what a C and D chord was, i got to play with several of the other household musicians and i really enjoyed dancing with the travelling entertainers and my talent shone out so when the aristocracy was exiled to the provinces, i was taken on by young Louis XIV and made royal composer for instrumental music.
I collaborated on court performances with all the best musicians of the era and when Louis XIV took over the reins of government, he especially liked my powerful, livelier tunes and named me the superintendent of the royal music and music master of the royal family including director of his personal violin orchestra.
I would really give it some and while giving a particularly vigorous performance of 'Te Deum' i got so into the music and was waving my baton around with so much gusto that i accidentally crushed my own foot with a conducting baton.
Admittedly that doesn't sound too bad, a few people have been injured by jabbing one of those little sticks in their own eye hole but my baton was huge, more like a cricket bat and it crushed my toes which became infected and gangrenous and the doctors said they would have to amputate it but i refused as it would mean i wouldn't be able to dance in the future which turned out was a few weeks long because the gangrene spread through my body and ultimately infected my brain causing my death so with hindsight, bit of an own goal there.

No comments: